Wednesday 22 January 2014

Old IPSC Cap - GLOCK 17 Advantage Arms .22" CONVERSION

I got my Pistol New Zealand 25 Year Badge last week - and pinned it onto my IPSC shooting cap, - right next to a silver Glock and my favorite, but politically incorrect badge "I Shoot Hostages" which is of course an insider joke for IPSC practical pistol shooters who might miss the odd shot- putting a hole in the white - on an old-style IPSC target flanked by two 'no-shoot' targets. Way back when (1988) IPSC shooting in NZ was run by the NZ Director of the Practical Shooting Institute - J D Henry.

 I always think that Kiwis wearing baseball style caps are missing the point as far as protection from our wicked summer sun - that burns in only minutes, (all too quickly in our clear skies) - but shooters have the excuse that they can't wear a wide brimmed sun-hat as well as hearing protector ear muffs. Living in farming country here you do see a lot of red-necked old farming types who are missing big chunks of their ears where sun damage/ melanomas have been surgically removed. - so I guess that those ear-muffs serve a double purpose for part of the year eh.

Grubby old shooting cap has seen fun times.

I've tried a few different bits of gear while under that cap - 32 round 9mm Glock 'stick magazines' - red-dot-optics, custom made compensators fitted on G17L barrels, G17 guns, borrowed race-guns,  Teflon coated projectiles, low pressure triggers - none of which seemed to make a useful time or accuracy difference to the main limiting factor - of what that cap was keeping the sun off - me!
- You've either got "It" or you don't!

- Actually - the one item that seems to be improving my shooting is this special Glock below:


Yup - You've spotted it right away again - that magazine is a big sign-post - indicating that this 3rd Generation Glock is wearing an Advantage Arms .22" rimfire conversion.

This is money well spent for me (NZ$495) as I do shoot more freely knowing that I'm only burning .22" Dollars rather than 9MM Dollars. The Advantage Arms conversion does give a good copy of a Glocks usual feel as the slide looks fairly normal but - being built of light alloy it seems to move under .22"power with much the same oompth as my 9MM reloads. The instructions that come in the nice plastic box with the slide assembly, magazine (two in my case), and cleaning kit - says which brands of ammo to use and not to use - but it seems to not be too fussy realy. I bought some packets of bargain ancient Ely target ammo that must be from the 1950s and that feeds and cycles the 'AA' Glock fine.

We run informal .22" Action Matches at our club branch and many (cheapskate!) shooters run through the stages over'n'over - sometimes going to centre fire for the last run-through.

I like the ".22" Glock" so much that I'm even thinking about buying another G17 and keeping it permanently set-up as a rimfire - I really question why Gaston Glock refuses to make a factory .22" version  - while making such a wide variety of other calibers for the different national markets.

 Crappy music  - but it shows the gun recoiling in .22". 

I'd just about guarantee that a 'factory' G17 sized .22' would sell in a big way - but - the factory knows best, I'm sure. 

Marty K.
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870








No comments:

Post a Comment