Tuesday 6 May 2014

OIL FILTER SUPPRESSOR / SILENCER

Here in New Zealand  'Silencers' or Sound Suppressors are unrestricted - but generally the cheap ones have a plastic thread that can work loose letting the silencer droop and cause rounds to impact internally and mess-up the internals. The "Good" ones tend to be pricey but I'd say they are great value - face it, if a silenced gun is shot when anyone close has forgotten to put on hearing protectors - the value is paid-off a hundred times by saving their hearing.


 -I've had 'tinnitus' now for several years in one ear - and I assure you - you do not want to have that "ringing in the ears" - it can drive you mad! - I believe that my tinnitus is more closely related to working at an airport for 29 years than to shooting - but I wore ear-muffs there mostly - as I always do when shooting.

I'm told that there is a simple and quick cure for tinnitus - but it involves decapitation.

I came across these American adaptor 'bushings' for using oil filters as suppressors and thought "what a brilliant idea". - I do understand that in USA they are illegal unless registered with BATF - but that doesn't apply here.

                                      Hickok45 demonstrates Oil Filter Suppressor

- What a useful idea - you could use as small or as large a can as suites and when fitted to a scoped rifle you should still be able to use the sights. You'll have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the barrel thread here may be either a 3/4" -16 or a 13/16" -16 thread - or maybe we have gone metric?
                                                          US Oil Filter Adapters.

- So, How long will it take for an enterprising kiwi gunsmith to start retailing something like these?
- such a good idea.

Marty K
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870




No comments:

Post a Comment