Saturday 3 May 2014

RUGER SP101 .22R/F Revolver.

I've bought one of these - well, I've ordered it and paid a deposit - all I've got to do now is wait for ten weeks as quoted (that is the time expected for my order to be shipped ex USA and processed - not an enforced "cooling-off" period) and then get my permit to procure, pay the balance - and see just how I like the eight shot when it's in my paw.
                        Aww - That's pretty! - Ruger SP101 Eight-shot .22" Rim-Fire.

A lot of the reviews from USA seem to slate the SP 101 .22 for having an excessively heavy double-action trigger pull and too small a grip. - Well we'll see how I get-on with mine - but meanwhile I've ordered a Hogue Monogrip and a 'spring kit' from Brownells (USA) in case I agree and need to change them.

- All the reviewers like the SP101 for its quality and strength - and I like it because here in New Zealand it is priced about a third cheaper than a similar S&W. - Plus I already own a Ruger  GP100 in .357 Magnum that I love - it's so solid!

                              Hickok45 Reviews the Ruger SP101 in .22" Rim-Fire.

Now - I'd rather listen to Hickok45 all day than most any other reviewers - but he seems to like my choice - so that's very pleasing. - Honestly, I've got nothing against S&W products at all (!!):

 - The fact that they were owned by an English lawn-mower manufacturer and they cost too much, and that they aren't as strong as a Ruger - and that they now build their revolvers with some weird internal lock mechanism having a common key, that can and does jam - has nothing to do with it at all

 - or that they are said to have copied the Glock design for their first polymer framed s/a and had to settle out of court for lotsa dollars - it's all by-the-way! - So too is the fact that S&W were boycotted by US Dealers in 2000 for doing a deal with the Clinton Administration.

Their ownership has changed hands more often than a randy teenager with a dirty book - I just don't like to buy anything from a (Smith & Wesson) Holding Company - don't trust holding companies.
 - I really like Smith & Wessons.

 - But, back-on-topic - the Ruger SP101  optic fibre front sight looks sexy - and the old joke applies - that if you can't hit 'em you can always throw it at 'em - and the more solid the lump is - the more momentum it will smack with.

- So here I am fidgeting like a big kid - asking over & over "- How many more sleeps is it mum?"

 - I reckon that there are at least two good reasons why older shooting folks get to like revolvers better than semi-autos: First, as you get a few decades under your bulging shirt you begin to think more kindly about other old things, antiques and classic cars etc.

 - And with a revolver - you can eject the spent shells into your hand or a container - thereby avoiding having to make that embarrassing Grunt to bend down on creaky knees and scrabble around in the dirt and leaves looking for most of your brass thrown out by a semi-auto (for reloading). - That is another good reason to 'take a kid shooting'!

Marty K











No comments:

Post a Comment