Thursday 1 May 2014

SHOT CAPSULES for .38" & .357" Magnum

SPEER Shot Capsules might not be "the answer to a maidens dream" but they may present some new possibilities to you.



I keep thinking about getting two holes for one shot (Duplex loads)  as a means of 'spreading the impact' for bowling pins or even steel plates - and I have successfully loaded three SG lead shot balls into the .38" capsules as a triplex load (- but OO Buck won't easily fit) . - I got a 1.2 inch three hole group at 3 metres from one triple SG capsule load. - I actually scanned that target onto this new computer - but decided that you don't need another boring target photo - the fact that I can't actually find that picture has nothing to do with it !!

                                      'SG' Loads for .38/357"Magnum Revolver.

I guess that our American friends and also the Aussies could explore building .357"  "snake loads" with the Speer capsules but that would be a wasted effort for Kiwis - as we don't have a single snake in the country - not even in our zoos here - Not Permitted!

When I found-out that Speer made these shot capsules - none of our local dealers seem to have even heard of them - so I approached Sportsways Distributors, the CCI / Speer importers who agreed to import some provided I ordered a few boxes and wait for them to arrive - which I was happy to do. - They charged NZ$25. per box - that's 50cents  each.


The shot capsules are a two part system - the blue tinted see-through capsule is made of a hard plastic and there is a softer snap-cap that seals your chosen load into the cylinder and then gets pushed face-down into the brass cartridge-case in contact with the propellant. The other (fixed) top end of the capsule is moulded with radial grooves or cuts (like a Star crimp), perhaps to help it open once in movement out of the barrel.

Speer also make capsules in .44/45" calibre - but do warn that capsules must not be fired through guns fitted with a muzzle brake or gas ports.
                           A neat concept that opens all sorts of possible ideas.

As a re-loader, maybe you have sometimes wondered " What could I do with all those spent (dead) primers - both small or large pistol?" - I certainly would never suggest that anyone ever should try anything so daft - but I do recall being told that primers or percussion caps can be amusing if fired at a brick wall from an air rifle. WARNING - DO NOT DO THIS.

- Are you getting images of the mythical "blunderbuss junk-loads"? - I have also noticed that four 6mm BB 'Soft Air' plastic pellets fit into the capsules - but I've not tried them on target. Surely it would be a very silly home-loader who would even consider making paint-markers with such a capsule, to fire from a lever-action rifle or revolver - it might be very messy.

- Again - DO NOT DO THIS - but I was thinking it might be possible to use these 'shot capsules' as a sabot to carry and launch a sub-calibre round(s) from a revolver. There may be room for a cautious experimental re-loader to develop some interesting loads.

Hmmm.
Marty K



No comments:

Post a Comment