Tuesday 3 June 2014

American Derringer Corp: 10MM Derringer.

Way back in time - when I was earning good money - I had a Glock 20 and a six inch barrelled S&W 610. They were both sweet shooting and accurate guns in 10MM auto and to make a 'set' I had obtained an import permit from the New Zealand Police and brought in from USA an American Derringer Corp 10MM stainless steel double barrelled piece.


I must explain to overseas readers here - if you want to shoot handguns in New Zealand you have to get a 'B' Category endorsement added to the standard Firearms Licence. To get this you have to start with an ordinary licence - then join your nearest Pistol Shooting Club and after six months membership (shooting borrowed guns under supervision) you can then apply for a Target Pistol shooting endorsement. Once that is secured you can buy a limited number of handguns (for different styles of competition) but they must have a barrel length measuring a minimum of four inches.

                                               Short Barrelled Derringer.

The only reason that I was permitted to import the derringer was because I also had a 'C' Category Endorsement on my firearms licence that allowed me to posses restricted weapons such as full-autos or short barrelled handguns - but our police regulations clearly do not allow such restricted collectors weapons to be firedNote:- However - the holder of a separate Firearms Dealers Licence may test fire a firearm to determine if it is in working order and a safe condition. (I was a Dealer for some years).
                                         Firing a .357" Magnum Derringer.

- All that accepted - the 10MM Derringer was a lovely wee piece, very well made and a delight to handle in the regulation security of my home. They do come in a wide range of calibres - and of-course there are other makers.

I never have found the 10MM Auto round to be difficult to fire - and have used various loadings in both my Glock 20 and the S&W 610 Revolver. - For overall comfort and economy I settled on a standard load that easily made the IPSC Power Factor but was below the top power loading.
                                           Glock 20 - Comfortable 10MM.

Not being permitted to shoot the wee 10mm Derringer here - I have to rely on overseas reports that this gun is easily used - and recoil is stated as being controllable and comfortable. - I'd think that the low barrel line might result in a straight-back kick, more in-line with the wrist rather than a violent upwards rotation.
                                       Smith & Wesson 610 Revolver.

- Maybe I'm easily pleased - and I am intrigued by technology - but I reckon all the guns shown on this page are really good looking and great to handle, in their very different configurations.

I used to say "why would you want to shoot an antique - when you can have the latest?" - but now I'm getting to be a bit of an antique myself - my attitude has changed !

Marty K


No comments:

Post a Comment