Saturday 5 July 2014

.44" MAGNUM - Too Much?

Down the range the other weekend - a couple of the guys were exercising a 44Magnum revolver.

I'm not sure if they were using a double-action S&W or a single-action 'Colt Replica' -or both perhaps - as I kept well away! - It sounded like a demolition crane was slamming the firing positions with a king-size wrecking-ball (on a long chain). *BOOM*


But my point is - judging by the long delays between BOOOMs and the excited Phwooors and Oo-waaars and Yee-haws - that they were firing heavy loads and 'enjoying' the experience as a male bonding exercise. - Something like getting a hand-chiselled tattoo without wincing - and just as painful - Heroic stuff. *BOOMA*

I guess that "one-shot-stops" figures loom large in some heads - for Grizzly Bear hunting - but this type of industrial big-bore drilling tool doesn't impress me as being particularly effective in low light conditions. - or for follow-up shots! - And you'd need a pack-horse to carry it around all day.

- How is your night-vision? - how's your sight picture? - did you remember to wear your recoil-taming sponge gloves? - Did you keep your fingers away from that cylinder-gap?
I'll try to be (a little) fair here and acknowledge that there will be some masters of the handgun who do not flinch or snatch at the trigger or get stinging palms when firing a 'full-house' 44Mag. - and indeed there are bigger rounds made for masochists like the .500" S&W  - and not everyone is an old wimp like me - but..   *BOOOM*
Can we see your Hits on the Target Please ?
- Even Elmer Keith who blew-up several revolvers while "inventing" the .44" Magnum cartridge complained of discomfort from repeated (once is enough for me!) use of the round in a S&W  Model 29 revolver - and tried to reduce the effect by designing fatter grips.
 - I'm more than content to use medium loads in my lesser  Ruger .357"Magnum.
Marty K
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870

No comments:

Post a Comment