Sunday 10 August 2014

On Range with my Just Right 9mm Carbine:

Sunday was a fine bright day up in the hills following a heavy overnight frost. - I can always tell when it's sub-zero outside because the cat stays real close to my blob on the bed! I delayed arriving on range until midday to give the sun a chance to warm-up.

I had picked-up the package Saturday from the nearest courier depot (a 45 minute drive each way) after ringing them to ask where it was - it was there - but when asked why they hadn't phoned me as arranged, the girl said "Aoh - we nevvah phone anyone."  !!

Had an interesting time assembling my bits onto it and getting the feel of its balance and looks. The Carbine strikes me as being a quality piece and worked faultlessly out of the box.

 I've not yet decided if I will change it over to left-handed. - Maybe I'll shoot it a few times first and see if I need to. - I am also not completely happy with the scope position - it may be better if moved back - which would require shifting the rear back-up sight.



Silenced Just Right Carbine with & without the foam Sleeve.
Firing it for the first time was suprising - as my face rested on the buffer tube and the 'twang' as the big spring worked felt like an air-rifle. Two shots at a time I brought the impact point in close to the centre and then moved the target frame down range to 50 yards for the first full magazine (- pinned to five rounds only (New York Compliant) - we are permitted seven round magazines for an 'A-Cat' firearm here.
Five super-sonic re-loads @ 50 yards - that's two together in the white.




- And five 50 yard 'American Eagle' 147gn FMJ flat-point at 1000ft.per.sec.
(These were 'patched' old targets that I was re-using.)
- Strange that the heavier 147gn sub-sonic pills impacted higher at 50 yards - but that's definitely how it was - They were very quiet compared to my standard re-loads but they kicked the light carbine more heavily than the lighter pills.
The Hardy over-barrel silencer was very effective - Overall I'm well pleased with this outfit and couldn't stop smiling. - I've decided that one more item has to be clipped-on - a bipod - then my JRC "Blingbine" will become a fixed part of the family.
A nice quiet winters day at the range.

Warning Warning: About halfway through sighting-in with my re-loads there was a "bang -- bang -- pop" situation  - the JRC did not cycle or eject and after manually ejecting the case, the bullet was found to have only entered the throat of the barrel and it knocked-out easily using a brass rod kept on range for these events. The pill was hardly marked by its experience - obviously the cartridge was a faulty squib 'primer-only' load.  This is one of the big risks re-loaders face when saving money - we all need to be more careful than I had been, eh.

P.S. Rod (GunDoc) has e-mailed confirming Nick & I's thinking - that the higher impact of the heavy-weight 147gn sub-sonic load is from the greater recoil acting on a longer barrel time from the slower velocity slug. - Good man that you are Rod - Life is Good.
Marty K
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870

No comments:

Post a Comment