Friday 3 July 2015

Strength Training for Shooting:

The batteries in my camera have gone flat AGAIN ..  Mustn't grumble eh.

Both The Above Are A Handful.

- So I was giving the old hand exerciser a few squeezes last night while pretending to watch 'the Telly' - using both hands alternately - and although I know why I was doing it - I wondered what "the experts" would have to say about it.

Bear in mind my teen-age grand-daughter recently did not have the strength to rack some slides - or hammer cock a revolver or pull the trigger double-action ! - Not everyone is as big and ugly as me!

- Just what exercise is rated as good for pistol shooting? - I'm guessing that the fitter and stronger you are in general will make you better at everything.

These are Said to Be Better
- As you Can Work Each Finger Separately.
 
- Start with a lighter spring as it's the repetition that strengthens.
 
A couple of sites recommend forearm & wrist-strengthening by winding-up (and down) a weight suspended from a length of broom-stick thus:
 
Using a plastic milk bottle as a weight lets you start-off light and increase the load by adding more water when you feel ready.
 
- How about resistance-band exercises like this?
 - Mind you, repeated, steady deliberate 'Dry Firing' practice will strengthen the shoulder and arm muscles and promote trigger control and eye focus on the front sight simultaneously eh.
 
No - it's not just playing with guns - It's dry firing practice .. one reason why kiwi target shooters are permitted to keep their restricted firearms at home.
 
 
Marty K.
 
P.S. Rod's popped-up to e-mail: 

Hi Marty
 Back when I was shooting serious international competition in the 1980’s and 90’s, I used dumb-bells in each hand and practiced holding them at arm’s length with each hand while maintaining correct shooting stance (in other words pretending the dumb-bells were a pistol).  This strengthened the shoulders as well as the grip, although a vise-like grip is not what you want as this will introduce forearm muscle tremors.  A firm grip is all that is required with the shoulder muscles doing all the lifting and holding.  Doug Koenig’s advice about dry-firing practice is spot-on, and I did the same thing at least once a week, and leading up to a competition I would do 10 minutes per day.  The other thing I found most beneficial was going into a shoot intending to do my best but enjoy myself at the same time.  If I got wound up about my placings or little mistakes then I got disappointing results.  When I won shoots or set NZ records it was always when I was in the ‘have fun’ frame of mind!
 Cheers
Rod
 

No comments:

Post a Comment