Sunday 2 October 2016

.17" Winchester SUPER Magnum:

I was introduced to the Winchester SUPER Magnum .17" cartridge the other day. - I read that it is descended from the .27 caliber nail gun blank - by necking down that blank case to take a .17caliber (4.5 mm) bullet. Mark told me that it throws a 20 grain bullet, delivering muzzle velocities around 3000 ft/s .


.17" WSM .. Winchester SUPER Magnum.

That seems extra-ordinary to me - that a rim-fire round can accelerate any bullet to 3,000 feet per second.

I haven't even 'absorbed' the earlier .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) from 2002 yet.. which itself is no slow-slug.
.17 HMR next to . 22" WMR.


Winchester & Savage, introduced this 17 WSM cartridge in 2013. - The brass case for this Super Magnum round is roughly 50% thicker than the .17 HMR, and the max average internal pressure is 33,000 psi, versus the 17 HMR's 26,000 psi.
To me - both of these small bores are high-velocity flat shooters .. But the 17 WSM is even more so.
I'm not going to give statistics for the .17 WSM as I don't have any insight - but this round can achieve hits /kills out beyond 200 yards - which is way beyond my eyesight capabilities even wearing my lenses.
Mark is really getting into this long range rifle stuff and having a lot of fun - and you don't need to be the brightest-button-in-the-box to understand that fun is what IT is all about,.
________________

I was surprised to read that S&W have been told by The US Department of The Army that their entry for The Modular Handgun Program will not be going forward to the next stage of these trials.

That leaves only GLOCK, - Beretta APX - and the Sig P320 as candidates for the next US military handgun. - This is after the UK Defense Forces buying more than 25,000 Glock 9mms back in 2013.



Glock 17 - L131A1 General Service Pistol

Life is good,

Marty K.


No comments:

Post a Comment